What are Bioflavonoids? Know the Foods rich of it.
There are so many healthy compounds in our nature that benefit us. Not all are known to us. Bioflavonoid or commonly known as flavonoid is one among them. So what are bioflavonoids? They are usually known to be vitamin P. This is a kind of powerful phytochemicals. There are several categories of bioflavonoids including rutin, genistein, quercetin, citrus flavonoids and hesperidin. To be simpler, the color of fruits is associated with this flavonoids and so the more the color the more the flavonoid content. They exhibit antidiabetic and neuroprotective activities.
Benefits of Bioflavonoids
- The primary purpose of these bioflavonoids in our body is to inhibit the breakdown of Vitamin C and maximize its benefits to the body.
- Flavonoids promote heart-health. This particular compound is found to have positive association with cardiovascular health diseases. Higher intake of foods with flavonoids shows reduced risk of cardiovascular problems.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of flavonoids help in reducing hepatitis other several viral diseases. The flavonoid catechin, which is found in green tea, helps persons with acute or chronic viral hepatitis.
- Bioflavonoids help in strengthening of neurotic system in the body. It relieves swelling, pain and aching caused due to varicose veins. Healthy flavonoid diet would help in combating this problem.
- Bioflavonoids are effective in preventing and healing hemorrhoids complications. Since they improve microcirculation and capillary blood flow, it is found to be a natural remedy in the treatment of hemorrhoids.
- It also helps in preventing bruises, hypertension, cold sores and allergies.
Top Foods with Bioflavonoids
Flavonoids compound is present in many of our common daily foods in varying quantities. It is particularly found in many foods that are rich in Vitamin C. Health promoting fruits and vegetables are loaded with these bioflavonoids. Consuming foods rich in bioflavonoid would lead to healthy diet. This is because these bioflavonoids have anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anti-allergic and antitumor properties. Here are some of the foods that are rich in bioflavonoids.
Berries and citrus fruits are rich in bioflavonoids. Some of the foods rich in bioflavonoid ellagic acid are grapes, strawberries, cranberries, blackberries, and apples. Citrus fruits such as lemons, grapefruits, oranges, and tangerines are high of citrus bioflavonoids. Plums, peaches, and apples contain flavonoid flavan-3-ol.
Green leafy vegetables
Vegetables with green and red tones such as Onions, Broccoli, spinach, and kale are rich in flavonoids. Red and green onions are rich in quercetin. Celery and artichokes contain flavones, while broccoli and okra have flavonols.
Spices and Herbs
Fresh oregano, peppermint, and parsley are high in flavones. Cinnamon is also a rich flavonoid spices.
Pure cocoa contains Flavanols and chocolates made with cocoa and cocoa butter have them. High-quality dark chocolate has good amount of healthy flavonoids.
Green tea, black teas, and red (rooibos) tea are rich in flavonoid intakes with catechins and flavonols.
Nuts, beans, and seeds
Soybean has high bioflavonoids while dark beans such as kidney beans and black beans. Similarly, nuts like pistachios, cashes, walnuts, are great choices.