DIY Clove Mint Homemade Mouthwash
Oral hygiene is always important. Sometimes, just brushing might not be enough. This is why we go for mouthwashes of different kinds. But the irony is that store-bought mouthwashes contain alcohol, fluoride, and harmful antibacterial agents, which are potential compounds that cause damage to health. It can also cause tooth discoloration and dry mouth problems. A homemade mouthwash is always free from chemicals and is economical as well. Do you know you can make your own mouthwash at home easily? We are here to guide you. This homemade mouthwash contains natural ingredients and essential oils that make it worth the work. This DIY mint clove mouthwash has so many benefits for oral hygiene.
Cloves have potent antibacterial properties that make it great for oral care. The presence of eugenol in clove is a good antiseptic and dental preservative. It is also a dental analgesic and helps to relieve toothaches.
Cinnamon also has antibacterial property and helps treat oral cavities and plague. It also relieves mouth inflammation.
Peppermint has antimicrobial and antiviral properties to fight against oral bacteria. It also increases salivation in the mouth, combating dry mouth problems. Peppermint oil also has a cooling effect along with a pleasant taste, which makes it a good option to treat bad breath problems.
Clove Mint Homemade Mouthwash
Cloves – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – 1 tsp
Water – 1 cup
Peppermint essential oil – 4 drops
Direction to use
- Take a cup of water in a sauce pan.
- Now add some whole cloves into it.
- Add one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and mix well.
- Cover the pan using a lid and allow the mixture to boil.
- Now remove the pan from the heat and leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Take one clean muslin cloth and strain this mixture into a bowl, do it for a couple of times.
- Now add four drops of peppermint essential oil into it.
- Finally, pour this mixture into a small airtight bottle.
- Cover the bottle using lid and shake it lightly so that the contents mix well.
- Use this natural mouthwash twice every day.
- This should last for 5 to 7 days, so you can keep it in the refrigerator for further use.
- For increased antibacterial effect, you can add 2 tsp of fresh parsley into this mixture.
A Word for Care
This homemade mouthwash can be used for different oral problems.
- For bad breath, you can add 2 drops oregano oil or 2 tsp of baking soda.
- To reduce gum inflammation and toothaches, add 1 drop of myrrh oil.
- For cavities and dental plaque problem, add 2 drops of thyme oil.
Try out this DIY mint clove homemade mouthwash and let us know your thoughts.