DIY Flax Seeds Hair Gel
We know the health benefits of flax seeds. But there is more to do with flax seeds. It is well used for beauty purposes. Flax seeds are good for hair care. Here we have a DIY flax seed hair gel. This homemade hair gel is safe and convenient to use on hair. It is best suited for curly and frizzy hair as it lets your strands show off after applying.
Its quite easy to make and is less sticky than any store-brought hair gels. It is also cost-effective and has a decent staying time.
Flax Seeds – ½ or ¼ cup
Water – 2 cups
Aloe Vera Gel – 1 tbsp. (optional)
Essential Oil of your choice – 3-4 drops (optional)
Conditioner or serum of your choice – 1 tbsp (optional)
Directions to Make
- Add flax seeds into 2 cups of water. The quantity of flax seeds depends on how thick you want the gel to be. For thicker use more flax seeds. You can adjust accordingly.
- Soak the flax seeds in water overnight. You will need at least 18 hours for the gel to get separated from the seeds.
- Place the gel-consistency water with flax seeds in stovetop in low/medium heat. Boil it and keep stirring.
- Turn off the heat when you get a white frothy gel form. The consistency will be similar to egg white.
- Place a strainer or stocking socks on a bowl and strain the mixture.
- Let it cool down.
- Once cooled, add aloe vera gel and essential oil of your choice to it. You can also use any leave-on conditioner/serum at this stage.
- Mix well and store it in an air tight container.
- This flax seed hair gel can be stored in refrigerator for 12-14 days. If you want it to last longer, you can add any preservative like Vitamin C or citrus extracts.
- You can also add Epsom salt to enhance the curls.
- Agave nectar can be additionally added, if you prefer a stronger hold. But this would make the gel quite sticky.
- Sometimes the gel when refrigerated can get quite watery and separated from the gel. In that case, use a whisker to get it back to form.
How to Use
- Apply generous quantity of this hair gel to your clean, damp hair.
- Let your air dry (do not use a blow-dryer. if needed, use the diffuser option in hair dryer).
Benefits of using Flax Seeds Hair Gel
- Using this hair gel leaves your hair soft and shiny.
- As we use aloe vera gel, it has soothing properties and keeps your hair moisturized.
- Flax seed has omega3 fatty acids which is good for hair growth.
- Flax seed hair gel gives a great definition to your curls.
- It gives a decent hold to hair with no crunches or flaking. Also it does not cause any dryness to hair similar to alcohol-based products.
- Since it is a natural ingredient, it does not cause any breakage, shedding or damage to your hair.
- You can make this hair gel according to your preference, by mixing essential oils and conditioners of your choice.
- This gel is natural and organic; and so it great for all types of hair, but specifically suited for curly, frizzy hair.