Health Benefits of Mustard Seeds
Mustard seeds are small but valuable superfood, loaded with lots of nutrients. They are much beneficial for health. Mustard seeds are actually oil-seeds, obtained from the fruit pods of the mustard plant, belonging to the Brassica family. There are different varieties of mustard plant and the common one is the brown mustard seed plant, known as the Brassica juncea. The other varieties are White mustards (Sinapis alba or Brassica alba) and Black mustard seeds (Brassica nigra). Mustard seeds are used as a culinary ingredient all across the world for flavoring and health reasons. The health benefits of mustard seeds are many. It has rich nutritional profile, making it a great ingredient for health and wellness.
Benefits of Mustard Seeds
- Mustard seeds contain phytonutrients – a bioactive food component – that supports different physiological functions. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties that benefit the immune system of the body.
- Moreover, mustard seeds have enough antioxidant properties, to benefit the body. It also has neuroprotective and anti-aging properties.
- Mustard seeds contain Myrosinase enzyme, which helps to break down glucosinolates in the body to be converted into absorbable nutrients.
- Mustard seeds are rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) – a plant-based omega-3 fatty acid, which helps in lowering triglycerides, and supports cardiovascular health. It also lowers blood pressure, and reduces inflammation.
- Mustard seeds contain minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, copper, manganese, potassium, and zinc. It also has abundant vitamins source including Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B1, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, and folate.
- Mustard plants accumulate selenium, which improves the natural capabilities and functioning of the body. Selenium also reduces the severity of asthma and symptoms of arthritis.
- Mustard seeds are good source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- The presence of magnesium in mustard seeds helps to restore sleeping disorders and symptoms of menopause. It also reduces the frequency of migraine attacks.
- Mustard oil is great for skin care as it generates warmth.
How to use mustard seeds
For digestion problems, add few black mustard seeds along with milk and consume this mixture about 15 to 20 minutes before having your meal. This helps in digestion and increases the body metabolism rate. It is also beneficial for menopausal women to treat sleeping problems.
Mustard seeds have to be ground with water and made to a paste. This mustard seed paste can be used for application.
Mustard seeds paste can be used for external application in wounds and swellings. Mustard paste can also be applied for paralyzed body parts to improve blood circulation and body warmth.
For arthritis and joint pains, mustard paste helps to improve joint flexibility and warmth.
For skin disorders, mustard seeds paste has to be applied to the affected area and wrapped with a wet cloth. If it causes burning sensation, remove the paste immediately.