Home Remedies for Cough
Cough is one common health problem. There are different types of coughs – dry cough, chronic cough, asthma cough, common cold cough. There are various reasons for cough such as viral infections, smoking, asthma, tuberculosis, etc., Few of the symptoms included with coughing are chest pain, throat pain, itchy throat or dry throat, and congestion. There are few natural remedies and treatments that you could practice at home.
Here are few of the ingredients that can be used to eradicate cough and its symptoms. These natural remedies from herbal at-home products are safe and easier treatment that could be done instantly.
Turmeric and Pepper drink:
- Take a glass of boiling milk
- Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of pepper powder to it.
- You can add palm sugar or honey to it, if desired.
- Optionally, you can also add cinnamon sticks to the drink
This milk can be drunk until the condition gets improved. You can drink it twice or thrice every day.
Ginger is said to be a natural cure for coughs and colds. When there is severe congestion, you can take ginger drink or ginger tea. Here is a natural home-brewed ginger drink.
- Cut and crush fresh ginger to small slices.
- Add it to a cup of water and let it boil well.
- Drain it and use this herbal drink at least three or four times per day.
- You can also add palm sugar or honey along with lemon juice to add flavor to this drink
Onion is a simple home ingredient for cough problems. Just cut onions and make a juice out of it and drink. You can also smell the strong vapors of it to stop coughing. This onion juice can also be used as a precautionary remedy for little children to prevent cough or cold. Here is a simple cough syrup recipe:
- Onion juice – 1 ½ tsp
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Mix this solution and swallow it in a gulp.
You can take it twice a day to soothe your throat.
Home-brewed Thoothuvalai Drink:
To cure coughs, you can grind the leaves of thoothuvalai with organic cow milk for best benefits.
- Thoothuvalai/ தூதுவளை – 10-15 leaves
- Dry Ginger / சுக்கு – ½ tsp
- A pinch of Turmeric
- Garlic or pepper – optional
- Honey or Palm sugar to taste
Mix Thoothuvalai and dry ginger and boil it in water. Add garlic, pepper and turmeric also to it while boiling. Let the drink boil until you get half the amount of it. Now add little honey or palm sugar to it. You can drink this medicinal drink daily once for a continuous three days to get the benefits. You can also give it to children.