Home Remedies for Dry Mouth
Our salivary glands play a major role in keeping the mouth healthy. However, there are conditions when you do not have enough saliva to keep the mouth moisturized when you have a dry mouth, you experience lots of discomfort. Dry mouth is accompanied with dry tongue, cracked lips, mouth sores and even trouble chewing/speaking. The sticky dry feeling in the mouth and throat is an issue to attend as it brings more discomfort. Apart from going for any medications, there are ways you can sort of this dry mouth problem easily. Here we have few remedies for dry mouth.
Take more fluids
Keeping your body hydrated is important for various reasons. Dehydration can cause dry mouth often. To get rid of this problem, you have to increase your fluid intake and this will give proper hydration to your mouth and body as a whole.
- Consume lots of water throughout the day. Alternatively, you can also such few pieces of ice.
- Drink more fruit/veggie smoothies and juices.
- Coconut water can also help with dehydration a lot.
- Herbal teas like chamomile tea, green tea, etc.
- Liquid stews and soups can increase your salivary gland secretions to keep the dry mouth at bay.
- Eating frozen water-based fruits like watermelon, cucumber, and pineapple will help to flavor your fluid routine.
- Avoid soda, alcoholic drinks and caffeinated beverages.
Fennel seeds are great for stimulating the flow of saliva. This will help to get rid of dry mouth problem and also combat bad breath problem.
Just munch on few fennel seeds throughout the day to get rid of dry mouth problem.
You can also mix fenugreek seeds with fennel seeds for this purpose. You have to Dry roast them and grind well. Add some salt to the ground mixture. Consume ½ a teaspoon of this fennel-fenugreek mixture after every meal.
Oil pulling is an Ayurveda practice that helps to keep the mouth moist. It is very much beneficial for oral health and bad breath elimination. You can use coconut oil or sesame oil for this purpose.
[Read More about Oil Pulling]
Lemon helps to stimulate saliva production because of its acidic nature.
Sprinkle some salt over half a piece of lemon and rub it on tongue. This will enhance taste buds.
Lemonade will also help in relieving dry mouth. You can also try lemon and honey mixture to sup throughout the day. This will keep you hydrated.
Ginger helps to treat dry mouth. It is effective in stimulating saliva production and keeps the mouth feel fresh.
Chew few pieces of fresh ginger several times a day.
You can also drink ginger tea with honey to stimulate salivary glands. You can also add cardamom to it for added benefits.
A Word for Care
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Do not use mouthwashes with alcohol as ingredient.
- Avoid overuse of decongestants that dries your throat and mouth.
- Do not breathe through nose.
Following these home remedies for dry mouth can improve saliva secretion and alleviate the problem. However, if the cause of dry mouth is due to any medication of medical condition, consult your dentist or physician.