Surprising Benefits of Kavuni Arisi (Black Rice)
There are so many rice varieties available in Asian countries that are often overlooked or ignored. Specific varieties of rice hold surprising health benefits we do not know. One such rice variety is the Black Rice or the so-called Kavuni Arisi (Tamil). The benefits of Kavuni Arisi are really surprising to the modern generation.
The black rice or Kavuni Arisi was grown in northeastern and southern parts of India for centuries. It was called Chak Hao in north and Kavuni in the south. The rice is dark in shade and thus the name black rice. Actually, the darker the shade, the more rich is its nutrition.
The South Indian Chettinad community, in the ancient days, widely used this Karuppu Kavuni Arisi. This black rice or so-called the forbidden rice by Chinese is one such ancient variety that became a part of cuisine in olden days. Even today, there is no royal family Chettinad wedding without a dessert with Kavuni Arisi. This less known rice holds various health benefits close to modern supplemental foods.
The nutritional value of Kavuni Rice is amazing. It is considered a miracle rice variety for its nutritional benefits.
According to American Chemical Society (ACS), one spoonful of Kavuni Arisi holds more antioxidants and other nutrients. Until now, blackberries were considered having the highest amount of anthocyanin antioxidants, but Kavuni Rice is found to be the richest source of anthocyanin. The grain stands out in its nutritional value when compared to super foods such as red rice, quinoa, etc.
Kavuni Rice is very rich in fiber. 100gms of black rice holds over 4.9 grams of fiber content. This is double the fiber content of brown rice.
Apart from that kavuni rice also has 18 amino acids present in it. The presence of zinc increases immunity, and iron helps carry oxygen in the body.
Kavuni Rice also has good amounts of copper, carotene, and other important vitamins.
Health Benefits of Kavuni Arisi (Black Rice)
Black rice holds various health benefits as well.
- Kavuni Rice has anti-inflammatory properties and so is a healing food. It helps reduce inflammation caused by various diseases such as cancer, arthritis, and allergies.
- Kavuni is a naturaldetoxifying agent. It holds phytonutrients that aids in body detoxification.
- The rice is good for live function as it helps remove toxins from the liver and detoxifies it.
- Black rice is a gluten-free grain. For those with gluten allergies and Celiac disease, it is a good alternative.
- It helps fight diabetes as the rice bran contains rich fiber that helps in glucose absorption in the body. It lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Black rice helps prevent cancer, and heart diseases. It promotes a healthy heart by reducing LDL, triacylglycerol, and total cholesterol. It is good for body organs such as kidney, stomach, and liver.
- Because of its rich fiber content, black Kavuni rice satiates the appetite and makes you feel fuller for a longer time. When considered with other rice varieties, consuming just one-third of kavuni rice gets you the necessary nutrients and fills the hunger cravings. Thus, it aids weight-loss as well.
How to make Kavuni Arisi Dessert
Kavuni Arisi – 1 cup
Jaggery – 3 tbsp
Coconut (shredded) – 1 cup
- Clean the Kavuni Arisi well and add two cups of water to it.
- Use a pressure cooker and let it cook for two-three whistles. Make sure to cook the rice well.
- Now drain the excess water and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Now add jaggery and shredded coconut to it for added flavor. You can also replace jaggery with sugar if preferred.
- Now, the Kavuni Arisi Dessert is ready to serve.
The benefits of Kavuni Arisi makes it truly a miracle food. Adding the food to your routine will improve your health for sure. Similar to kavuni arisi, there are so many miracle foods among ancient practices. It is our responsibility to bring everything to light. No doubt our ancestors were contributing to a balanced holistic life through their foods. This is why they lived a medicine-free life with their concept of ‘food as medicine’.