Thoothuvalai Soup for Treatment of Cold/Cough
Known to be Thoothuvalai, in Tamil, the plant’s botanical name is Solanum Trilobatum and is called Thai nightshade in English. In siddha treatment, this plant is known as kayakalpam. This thorny creeper is a bushy plant seen in tropical regions like India. It has anti-bacterial, antibiotic, and anti-fungal properties.
This medicinal plant can be grown easily at home in a pot and used occasionally. Everything from the plant – including its seeds, leaves, fruits, stem, and flowers – can be used for medicine. The plant contains a natural steroid called solasoline, which is often used for many medical purposes. This rejuvenatory herb particularly cures respiratory diseases and asthma. It also treats chronic colds, throat infection and tuberculosis treatment. It also can be used for intestine-gastric problems. The fruits are used for treatment of constipation and rheumatism.
Here we have a recipe of Thoothuvalai Soup that can bring lots of benefits for cold.
Thuthuvalai leaves – 1 cup
Tamarind – small-sized ball
Peeled Shallot pieces – ½ cup
Curry leaves – 1 cup
Red chillies – 2-3
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Cooked Toor dal – 1 cup.
Cumin seeds powder
Directions to make the Soup:
- Cut the Thuthuvalai leaves into pieces.
- Soak a small-sized Tamarind in water for 15 minutes. Filter the extract water and keep aside.
- Cook the cup of Toor dal and mash it to get a mixture with thick consistency.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add asafetida, and mustard seeds to it.
- Then, add shallots, red chilies, and curry leaves.
- Grind the Thoothuvala leaves coarsely with water and take a mixture.
- Now pour in the tamarind mixture and the Thoothuvalai leaves mixture.
- Add salt as required.
- Cook the Soup for around 10 minutes.
- Once it boils add the Toor dal mixture to it.
- Sprinkle coriander powder, pepper powder, and cumin seeds powder to it.
- Put in chopped coriander leaves before removing from the stove.
You can consume this soup for twice or thrice a day. You get a good relief from cough and cold.