Using NIACINAMIDE to clear out your Skin
Niacinamide or scientifically called nicotinamide is an essential vitamin commonly found in milk, vegetables, supplements and medicines. It is one of the two forms of vitamin B3 complex, the other being niacin and is used primarily for treating skin problems such as acne, melanoma, psoriasis and even skin cancer. Niacinamide is available in various forms- gel, cream and serums.
Why is niacinamide an integral part of clean beauty?
Clean beauty promotes using products that are free from toxins and harmful additives. Customers, particularly those with sensitive skin are now switching to clean beauty products to safeguard their skin from further damage and for the treatment of their persistent skin problems.
Niacinamide is derived from the nicotinic acid and undergoes a chemical process to take its form. Apart from being the star ingredient that it is, niacinamide can be used daily by people of any age group (preferably after 18 years). It generally does not contain substances like parabens, silicones or sulphate that are known to cause skin allergies or reactions in the long term. These miraculous properties of niacinamide have made it an inherent part of clean beauty.
Listed below are some reasons that make niacinamide a must-have requisite for every beauty enthusiast:
- Improves dermal immunity– Niacinamide helps in building keratin, a type of protein vital for healthy skin and develop a ceramide barrier necessary for retaining natural moisture of the skin.
- Reduces the appearance of pores, lines and wrinkles– Niacinamide improves the collagen production in the skin which, in turn, reduces the visibility of fines lines and wrinkles and contract the size of enlarged pores.
- Keeps oil in control– Apart from providing ample hydration to the skin, niacinamide also keeps in check the excessive oil produced by the sebaceous glands. This feature makes it a perfect choice for people with both dry and oily skin type.
- Reduces inflammation – Niacinamide contains anti-inflammatory properties making it the most preferred choice for the treatment of issues like eczema, psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Tames the acne – Niacinamide is essentially used for curing stubborn acne and breakouts. Unlike other anti-acne products, it usually does not cause any sensitivity or irritation.
- Evens the skin tone– It is a tried and tested fact that niacinamide diminishes the redness and bumps on the skin and enhances the texture resulting in even and flawless skin complexion.
SO, HOW CAN YOU MAKE NIACINAMIDE A PART OF YOUR SKINCARE REGIMEN?
The most convincing factor to use Niacinamide serums or creams is that they can be applied both at day and night. Moreover, due to its anti-ageing and oil control properties, the product is ideal for all age groups.
Start by using a small amount of the serum and gradually increase the quantity if the need arises. Take 3-4 drops of the product on your palms using your hand or the piper provided and gently blend all over your face and neck area with patting motion. Give a few minutes for the product to seep into the skin before applying any other product over it.
Few points to always keep in mind:
- Always do a Patch test of the product on a small area before applying all over the skin.
- Use the product after the toner or preferably after the cleaner but before applying the moisturizer.
- Apply a coat of sunscreen in the end to ensure a double layer of sun protection.
- Do not apply any vitamin C serum or cream along with the niacinamide serum as it will hinder the effectiveness of both the products simultaneously.
Here are a few niacinamide products offered by clean beauty brands:
- Be Minimalist co – Be Minimalist co has created a unique formulation of oil-free, lightweight niacinamide serum with the base of aloe vera gel. It is a blend of vitamin b3 and antibacterial mineral zinc which is proven to improve dermal health and reduce blemishes from the skin. The product comes in a pack 30 ml bottle for the price of INR 595.
- Dot and Key– The 10% niacinamide spot corrector serum by Dot and Key is made using natural and vegan ingredients. The serum comprises of vitamins E and B5 along with the goodness of pomegranate and sunflower seed oil. The product is suitable for all skin types and is priced at INR 1095.
- The Ordinary – The serum by The Ordinary constitutes 10% of the niacinamide and 1% of zinc. It contains high strength vitamin and mineral blemish formula essential to regulate excessive oil production. The product is made from vegan and cruelty-free ingredients and is safe for everyday use. The serum costs INR 960 for a bottle of 60ml.
Krati Agarwal is an avid reader, poet and a writer who finds writing immensely peaceful and an escape from. Her works have published in various anthologies. Besides writing, she is a movie enthusiast and a sucker for Italian food.