Proven Benefits of Avocado Oil
The avocado is quite a not-so-common fruit. Unlike other fruits that have carbohydrate, avocado has rich healthy fats, which if often used for oil produce. Avocado oil is edible one and is used for cuisines and skin care. It is pressed from the fruit, Persea americana. Avocado has beneficial effects on health. Studies and scientific research has proven the benefits of avocado oil.
Though avocado oil is not as common as olive oil, yet it is so delicious. It contains lots of antioxidants and essential fatty acids. Unlike other oils, avocado oil contains a high smoke point, which makes it a top choice for cooking. It also contains high monounsaturated fats and oleic acid. A single tablespoon of avocado oil contains 124 calories; 14 grams of fat – of which 9.9 are monounsaturated healthy fat and 1.9 are polyunsaturated fat. Avocados also do not contain cholesterol or trans fats, which are unhealthy. It is rich in vitamin E, and so benefits skin care as well.
Benefits of Avocado Oil
There are so many evidence-based benefits of avocado oil for health.
- Avocado contains monounsaturated fatty acids, which are good for heart. It is also a high fat food, but has oleic acid and mono-saturated omega-9 fatty acid.
- Avocado oil helps reduce cholesterol and improves heart health. When compared to other oils such as coconut oil, olive oil, or corn oil, avocado oil has beneficial effect on cholesterol levels. It is more effective in increasing the ‘good’ cholesterol (HDL) levels.
- Studies show that avocado oil might help reduce blood triglycerides and lowers blood pressure levels.
- Avocado oil contains good source of lutein, which is a carotenoid. It is also an antioxidant that is good for eye health. It reduces the risk of cataracts, macular degeneration, and other eye diseases. Avocado oil also helps in absorption of body nutrients. When used with carrots and spinach, it helps the absorption of carotenoids.
- Several studies show that avocado oil reduces the symptoms of arthritis and Osteoarthritis. Extracts from avocado oil reduces pain and stiffness.
- For oral care, avocado oil and soybean oil combo prevents many gum diseases. It eliminates inflammatory symptoms, bleeding gums, and bad breath.
- For skin care, avocado oil is beneficial in many ways. Various cosmetic products today are produced with avocado oil. The presence of vitamin B12 alleviates the symptoms of psoriasis. It is also great to treat skin injuries.
- Since avocado oil is rich in antioxidants, it helps fight cellular damage and increases body metabolism. antioxidants neutralize the free radical damage in the body and prevent any oxidative stress.
Ways to Use Avocado Oil
Avocado oil is highly versatile and can be used in different ways.
- You can add few teaspoons to smoothies; or drizzle over a salad.
- It can also be used while marinating meat or chicken.
- It is best when used in baking.
- Homemade mayonnaise can be made with avocado oil.
- It can be drizzled over soups and gazpachos.
- You can also use avocado oil on vegetables before roasting them, to add a flavor.