Benefits of Jathikai or Nutmeg
Popularly known as Nutmeg in English, this is referred to as Jathikai in Tamil and jaiphal in Hindi. Nutmeg is actually the seed of a tree belonging to the genus Myristica. It is widely used for cooking purpose because of its aroma and taste. Nutmeg powder is also used for various home remedy treatments. The benefits of jathikai or nutmeg are wide ranging from health to skin care and beauty. The vitamins and nutrients in nutmeg/Jathikai enhance the functioning of the body to maintain optimum health.
Health Benefits of Jathikai
- Jathikai helps in relieving from diarrhea problem. Jathikai powder is mixed with buttermilk or curd water as a remedy for diarrhea.
- Jathikai promotes good sleep for both infants and adults. For infants it has to be given in right amount. For adults, you can mix a pinch of nutmeg powder with milk and honey and drink this mixture at night.
- Nutmeg oil can be used for treating digestive problems such as vomiting, flatulence, indigestion, and gastric problems.
- Nutmeg has anti-inflammatory properties that act as a sedative for joint pains. Gently massage nutmeg oil to the painful regions to get relief.
- Jathikai is also very useful for treating cold, cough, and other respiratory problems such as asthma.
- Internal use of nutmeg oil or powder improves blood circulation and gives a relaxed feel because of it aromatic properties. It can be used in home spa treatments.
- The antiseptic properties of nutmeg oil helps relieve from oral problems like bad breathe and keep your teeth and gums strong.
- Jathikai is also an excellent soothing remedy for women’s menstrual cramps problem.
Herbal remedy for Indigestion
Saathikkai powder – 1 tsp.
Sukku / Dried Ginger – 1 tsp.
Jeeragam / Cumin seeds – 3 tsp.
- Mix all the three ingredients and it has to be taken before food daily. This will help in relieving from flatulence, indigestion and other digestive problems.
Beauty Benefits of Jathikai
- Jathikai is a great ingredient for hair care. The oil derived from it has medicinal properties that penetrate to the hair shaft on massaging with base oil like coconut oil or castor oil. It promotes hair growth.
- Jathikai also has various skin care benefits. For sensitive and acne prone skin, Jathikai is a best remedy. Instead of chemical creams and lotions, you can use nutmeg powder as an alternative.
- A mix of nutmeg powder and honey can be used as a facial scrub to treat acne scars, wrinkles and other aging signs. Gently massage the scrub in circular motion.
A face pack with Jathikai helps do wonders to skin.
Nutmeg Powder – 1 tsp
Sandalwood Powder – 1 tsp.
Rose water – as requied
- Take equal quantities of nutmeg and sandalwood powder and mix it with rose water.
- Apply this on skin to get rid of acne scars and pimples. If you have dry skin without acne, you can skip sandalwood or it will dry the skin,