Oil Pulling – A Habit for Oral Health
In the recent years, Oil Pulling became a new fad and everyone was literally talking about its benefits. Even though many were apprehensive of it, very few were trying it regularly. Sometimes, the best remedies are the hardest. Have you ever thought of swishing oil in your mouth for around 10 to 20 minutes a day? This is what oil pulling is all about.
Oil Pulling is one ancient technique used in Ayurvedic treatments for curing a number of health problems. As we have known now, the oral health gets the first.
First, let’s start with knowing about Oil Pulling procedure.
- Take a spoonful of any oil, preferably, sesame oil or coconut oil.
- Swish it in your mouth – not so vigorously, as it will make you tired. Keep in mind that you need to do it for around 10 to 20 minutes. So take it slowly and swish the oil in the mouth around all corners.
- Make sure you do not swallow the oil. It may be hard at first, but with constant practice, you can make it a routine.
- After 15 minutes, you will find that the consistency of the oil gets thick, viscous and turns white as it gets mixed up with the mouth gland enzymes and toxins.
- After that, spit it out and rinse your mouth with clean water immediately.
This Oil Pulling procedure can be done with other oils like olive oil, sunflower, virgin coconut oil, or any oil that contain lots of essential fatty acids and antioxidants. The good ingredients in the oil can help in alleviating any gums and teeth problems. Using pure oils will help in pulling out harmful bacteria and other organisms in the mouth, gums, and the throat.
Possible Benefits of Oil Pulling:
- Strengthening of oral health care
- Prevention of gum and teeth diseases
- Alleviates bad breath
- Reduces Inflammation
- Corrects hormone imbalances
- Reduces sinus congestion
- Treats alcoholic hangover
- Reduces any symptoms of allergies
- Detoxifies the body from harmful organisms
- Helps in reduction of eczema
- Sometimes, can treat gastro-enteritis
Scientific studies have proven that the efficacy of oil pulling treatment with sesame oil is high in boosting overall oral health. It is said to be increasing the saponification in the mouth through the natural cleansing process. The vegetable fats in the oil act as an emulsifier for cleaning. Other than oral health, Oil Pulling seems to be an essential step towards detoxification. It is said that the oil pulling procedure can also help in cellular restructuring of the body organs as well as relates with proper functioning of other internal organs and lymph nodes.
Oil Pulling is usually associated with getting whiter teeth and for treating oral problems. But actually it is much more than that. The technique has a number of health benefits, which are often left ignored. To realize the benefits, one has to practice it regularly to see visible results.