Health Benefits of Java Plum or Naaval Pazham
Java Plum/Black Plum is a seasonal fruit found during the months of June, July, and August. Scientifically known as Syzygium cumini, this fruit is native to the Indian Subcontinent and regions in Southeast Asian counties. In Tamil, the fruit is known as Naaval Pazham. It has so many medicinal and health benefits. The fruit is oblong in shape similar to large berries with a purplish black color that has a blend of sweet, sour, and astringent flavor. The fruit is highly regarded for its nutritive value and so benefits of Java Plum are many.
Java Plum has rich nutrients of Vitamin C and Vitamin A. it is also rich in various minerals that makes it have great medicinal value to be used in Ayurveda treatments and other home remedies. Vinegar made from Java Plum is used for urine retention problems and diarrhea. Java Plum also has polyphenolic compounds that are effective in protecting the body against various heart diseases, asthma, diabetes, and even cancer.
Benefits of Java Plum
- Java Plum is effective to relieve stomach pain as it has carminative properties. It also has diuretic and anti-scorbutic properties. The cooling properties of Java Plum help in curing digestive disorders.
- Java Plum fruit is good for regulating blood sugar level. People suffering from diabetes can benefit from it. The fruit keeps the level of blood sugar under control through conversion of sugar and starch into the energy.
- Java Plum also has low glycemic index which provides anti-diabetic effects. It lowers the risk of secondary complications in diabetic patients such as thrusting and frequent urination. Even the leaves, barks, and seeds of the plant are used for diabetic treatments.
- Java Plum fruit benefits heart health. It is loaded with various nutrients like anthocyanins, ellagic acid and anthocyanidins. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and powerful antioxidants. All of these benefit in preventing cholesterol oxidation and plaque formation in the body. Thus, the fruit effectively contributes to mitigate the risk of heart diseases.
- Java Plum contains good amounts of iron which helps in increasing hemoglobin count in the blood. It is also a blood purifying agent and is therefore good for skin and beauty. Iron content in the fruit benefits to combat the PMS problems in women caused by blood loss. It also benefits people with anemia and jaundice because of high iron content.
- Java Plum also helps in improving bone strength because of presence of calcium. It has immunity boosting nutrients that help in treating and fighting various infections.
Java/Black Plum is indeed a beneficial seasonal fruit for everyone to try. It can be eaten raw as well as a juice to acquire the health and medicinal benefits.