Cod Liver Oil Benefits
People in northern Europe use cod liver oil even during early centuries. It has been used as a natural solution for various health problems. Cod liver oil is hailed for its health-promoting effects such as enhancing immunity, curing joint aches, muscle stiffness, rheumatis, and protection from cold winters. It has amazing anti-inflammatory properties. It also plays a major role in promoting cardiovascular health, hormonal balance, immunity boost, as well as reproductive and neurological health.
What Is Cod Liver Oil?
Not much known to many, the primary source of cod liver oil is from the livers of Gadus morhua fish. You can also consume cod liver in its fresh form. Cod liver oil is, actually a nutritious source of essential vitamins and catty acids. It includes vitamin D and A along with omega-3 fatty acids. Each spoonful of cod liver oil contains around 41 calories and 4.5 grams of fat, including saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fatty acids.
Cod Liver Oil Nutrients
The high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, present in cod liver oil makes it a health-boosting food. With its anti-inflammatory properties, it helps lowering inflammation and prevents blood clotting. It also reduces pain and swelling in several medical conditions such as arthritis. Moreover, it is capable of preventing depression and preserving brain health.
It is also one of the rare and best vitamin D–rich foods. It helps to maintain healthy bone metabolism and supports cell functioning. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to chronic autoimmune disorder, diabetes, osteoporosis, and even cardiovascular diseases. It is important to take vitamin D along with omega-3 fatty acids and synergistic vitamin A. cod liver oil has the right doses of all these.
Cod liver oil is rich in Vitamin A, which is an antioxidant. It helps reduce oxidative stress and prevents free radicals from affecting the body.
Cod Liver Oil Benefits
- It supports brain health and also prevents eye-related disorders. Vitamin A supplements help in lowering the risks of chronic diseases.
- Cod liver oil lowers high blood pressure and balances cholesterol levels. It also reduces high levels triglycerides in the body and thus prevents the risk for heart diseases.
- Usually fats are crucial for reproductive health. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in cod liver oil benefits in healthier ovarian and testicular functioning. It also helps the endocrine system to function properly.
- Cod liver oil helps to control insulin resistance and maintain glucose levels in the body,
- Cod liver oil supports hormone balance in the body by controlling the release of hormones by adrenal, hypothalamic, and pituitary glands.
- Essential fatty acids vital improves brain functions. So, higher intake of essential omega-3 fats and vitamin D lowers depressive symptoms, cognitive decline, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Vitamin D is essential for bone health. Cod liver oil helps maintain and build strong bones. It also lowers the risk of bone fractures and helps prevent developing osteoporosis.
- Cod liver oil produces gastric cytoprotective effects and improves gastric ulcer healing.
It is important to get fish oil supplements from the right organic outlets. Fermented cod liver oil is always the best form, as it retains the essential vitamins and fats. Also, the dosage of cod liver oil supplement has to be determined by a physician, in respect to age and health conditions. Regular supplementation of cod liver oil for adults and children benefits in promoting their overall health.
Have you taken cod liver oil supplements? What benefits did you achieve? Share us your thoughts.