Omum Water/ Ayurvedic Ajwain Water
Omum or Ajwain is a common herb found in Indian household. Traditionally, it was used a lot for medicinal purposes. Even today, it is one of the important ingredients in Ayurvedic medicine.
Though we might have come a long way from using the conventional medicine, it is still practiced and used among the households of many in India. It is common to see our grandmothers or mother-in-laws handing out seeds of Omum while we get stomach ache or upset stomach.
Omum is also known as Carom seeds, Ajwain, or bishop’s weed. In western countries, it is known as oregano seeds.
How to make Omum Water:
Omum Seeds – 1/2 Kg
Water – 5 Litre
- Take the omum seeds and crush them well.
- Bundle them in a muslin cloth and put it for soaking in the 5 litre of water.
- Let the bundle get soaked in the water overnight.
- In the morning take it out, and Boil the mixture until it reduces to half the amount.
- Strain it and store it in a dry container.
Make sure that the container is tightly closed. Or else, it will lose its effects soon, due to exposure with air.
The thymol present in Omum acts as a anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent and so relieves cough and asthma. You can mix it with jiggery and chew it to relieve from nasal congestion. You can also soak a clean cloth in Omum water and heat it over a warm pan. Place this warm cloth on chest for congestion.
To relieve from rheumatic or arthritic pain, you can soak the aching joints in a basin of warm water mixed with Omum water.
For relieving from acidity, you can mix Omum water with one teaspoon of jeera. Boil the mixture in a glass of water. The water helps to release the stomach acids and reduces the regurgitation of acids.
There are lots of benefits accompanied with these Omum seeds.
- It is a good digestive aid. The chemicals present in the seeds help effectively in releasing gastric juice in the stomach and speeds up digestion.
- It helps in flatulence, nausea, indigestion.
- Even for children or babies, it is a safer medicine as it helps in relieving colicky pain.
- For lactating moms, it improves digestion, as it has great curative and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also said to improve production of milk.
- For pregnant women, it wards off constipation. It also strengthens the uterus muscles. Even after pregnancy, it has healing properties that heal the body internally and reduces inflammation. It helps in maintaining good blood circulation.