DIY Bentonite Clay Hair Mask for Silky and Shiny Hair
“A day with a dull hair is incomplete”. We all like to style our hair in a different manner, as hair is an important part of one’s appearance and sets the tone for their entire look. Your unique way of styling your hair indicates your unique personality. To help you to take care of your hair, so many hair care products are formulated. They help nourish and prevent hair from getting damaged and resulting in itchiness, pollution, dryness, and other causes.
In fact, the cosmetics market is flooded with products like shampoo, hair sprays, serums, hair coloring, conditioners and so on. When it comes to natural hair care products, one of the best ingredients is Bentonite clay. It is formed from volcanic ash that has got aged over time, weathering in the presence of water. A bentonite clay hair mask will help a lot in conditioning your hair
What is Bentonite Clay?
Bentonite clay is a soft white powdery substance. This very fine smooth, and odorless powder is a natural healing clay comprised of various minerals. When this bentonite clay is used on hair, it helps clarify your hair and treats issues like damaged hair, dry scalp, heat, frizzy hair and dull- looking hair.
Additionally, Bentonite clay is negatively charged. When it is added to watery substances, it attracts positively charged ions, toxins, and impurities. This helps it to bind with them so that the toxins get removed quickly. This property of Bentonite clay is what helps to draw out oil from the hair scalp and excess dirt which in turn reduces the sores of scalp, the risk of dandruff and other issues.
Bentonite clay is used as the hair softner and cleanser. Sodium bentonite clay is more effective than calcium bentonite clay, as it absorbs 10-15 times more than its own weight in water.
To prepare bentonite clay hair mask we need only 2-3 ingredients. Hence we used water and apple cider vinegar.
Water-1 1/2 cup
Apple cider vinegar-1/2 cup
How to make a Bentonite clay hair mask
To make bentonite clay hair mask follow these steps.
1. Add 1 cup of bentonite clay in a non-metal container.
2. Mix1/2 spoon of water with clay.
3. Using a non-metal spoon, blend the clay and water into a smooth paste. If needed add water to it.
4. Then add 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar to it
5. Mix well the ingredients again.
6. Now Bentonite clay hair mask is ready to use.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo to remove accumulated dirt and oil.While your hair is still damp, apply the mask.
- Begin at the roots, and work towards the ends.Wear a shower cap and allow the mask to sit on your hair for up to 20 minutes.
- Make sure all strands are coated well.After 20 minutes rinse the clay with warm water.
- Make sure you washed your hair thoroughly.Wrap your hair with the towel.
- Air-dry your hair and style it.
A Word for Care:
- Along with apple cider vinegar, you can add olive oil, aloe vera juice, and honey or few drops of essential oil to bentonite clay hair mask.
- You can change the number of ingredients according to the length of your hair.
- It’s important to avoid the use of metal containers and utensils while using bentonite clay. Any kind of metal will contaminate the clay and lower its effectiveness. Use only a plastic, wood or glass bowl and spoon.